It is important that both landlords and tenants realise their responsibilities to ensure a peaceful and harmonious tenancy. Otherwise, conflicts between landlords and tenants can result in expensive and time consuming legal battles. The following text elaborates on the some of the most important responsibilities as advocated by Landlord and Tenants Solicitors.
As a tenant you must realise that, even though you pay your rent, you are not free from certain rules and restrictions while living in the rented property. Furthermore, you must have agreed to these responsibilities when you signed the tenancy agreement. Some of the most important responsibilities are:-
- Don’t leave the property for extended periods of time.
- Landlord and Tenants Solicitors recommend informing your landlord beforehand. In case you don’t they might think that you have abandoned the property.
- Pay your rent on time.
- The only reason your landlord is in this business is for the rent. If you don’t pay it on time, your landlord may be able to evict you.
- Be careful not to damage the property.
- If you do, you will have to pay for the damage. So be careful.
The Landlord’s Responsibilities:-
Landlords have to do their share to be able to secure a smooth, conflict – free tenancy. Some of them include:-
- Securing the Tenancy Deposit.
- You must secure the tenancy deposit you receive in one of the government backed schemes. And you should present your tenants with the appropriate evidence against the deposit.
- Be prompt with repairs.
- Repairs are your responsibility that is why you should make sure that your tenant gets prompt services.
- Respect Tenant Privacy.
- No explanation needed!!